RailTasmania.Com - Tasmanian locomotives

W Class

A press advertisement from 1960 featuring the W class

In 1959, two diesel-hydraulic locomotives, capable of running in multiple, were purchased with the hope of replacing steam locomotives on the North East and other branch lines. With the closure of some lines, the upgrading of others and the excess M class steam locos, no furthur W class were built, and slightly modernised V class were used on some branchlines. Both locomotives were scrapped in 1981, having spent their later years as shunters or close to the Launceston workshops

Details

Class photos, sounds and video

There are 6 matching items

TGR outline diagram for W class locos (L27)
A press advertisement from 1960 featuring the W class
W1 waits outside Launceston roundhouse, sometime in the early 1970s
W2 sits out of use at the Launceston roundhouse in April 1980. The loco would linger for another yea
W1 sits out of use at the Launceston roundhouse in April 1980. The loco would linger for another yea
With their motors sold and removed, the remains of the two W class sit at Launceston workshops befor

 


Return to top of page

Return to Locomotive information Index


All content of this site is copyright
Please contact us if you have problems or want more information

For more information on Tasmanian railways, read Tasmanian Rail News