Built in about 1875 (A+) and 1885 (B+), these carriages were initially used between Hobart and Launceston, but many later found use on the isolated Strahan-Zeehan and Bellerive-Sorell lines, and in the Hobart suburban area following the purchase of the TMLR company by the Tasmanian Government Railways in 1890.
The society owns three former Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company carriages.
Whilst the museum's three carriages are of similar design, the four wheeled A+17 is 2 metres shorter than its six wheeled B+ class siblings. A+17 was for many years painted in a representation of the TMLR colour scheme, however it has now been repainted into the later TGR dark red colours, as has B+21.
After its withdrawal in the late 1920s, the body of carriage A+17 was sold and used as a shed before being restored and placed on a replacement underframe. The two. larger B+ carriages were withdrawn from Hobart suburban service in 1950s and converted for departmental use - B+21 as a store and B+4 being converted to workmans Camp 121.
Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// www.railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=a17
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information