Delivered from the Vulcan Foundry in 1951, the H class heavy freight locomotives were intended to complement the Q class. The concurrent deliveries of X class diesels, and the restriction of the H class to the northern parts of the system, resulted in the class having only a relatively short life. When the first Y class arrived in 1961 overhauls on steam locomotives stopped and by mid 1962 H1, H2 and H4 were stored, although H2 later received a heavy overhaul. The other locomotives received limited use on goods and passenger trains throughout the 1960s. H2 and H5 worked during the centenary of railways celebrations in 1971, and H2 became the last steam loco used in regular TGR service when it was withdrawn in 1975.
H1 was donated to the Museum in 1974, and was subsequently restored to its original condition. This locomotive is not operational, and there are no plans for further restoration.
Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// www.railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=h1
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information